Friday, March 21, 2008

MUSKRAT


This is the little rat tailed creature that was scurrying around on our back porch. Totally freaked me out at first, but minus the rat tail, it's pretty cute. It's about the size of a small cat. As a random side note, I had a patient the other day with a great version of a mullet, she...yes, she had a New Kids on the Block haircut, complete with tail. It was pretty awesome, and terrible. I wonder what the person who cut her hair thought. Hmmm.

I've had quite a few crazies lately, one guy, who is homeless, but apparently studied pre-med at Harvard and also attended dental school, and was a practicing lawyer who inherited 3 million dollars at one point, but spent all his money to educate his daughter, who is a doctor, but won't speak to him, even though he gave up everything for her, including dental care, since his mouth is a rotting abyss. The guy hasn't had a cleaning for 40-50 years, and I can never tell if he's sober or not. He told me last time that he wished I was married to him and gave me the nickname "brown eyes". For anyone who may be curious, apparently, according to him, I am excellent with a needle (one would wonder how much experience he's had in this department) and I'm the best in my field. Sorry class of 06, but I guess I've surpassed everyone! :)

I could probably go on and on about all the crazies we see, it's like our office has a crazy flame attracting these people, always on days when I work, fortunately for me, I can laugh about most of these experiences without being too freaked out. I just check the back seat of my car each night before getting in the car. Where do these people come from?!! POCATELLO. Crazies and stinky people, those are my associations I make each day at work. What fond memories I'll have one day when I go to a different office. The garlic guy--who eats cloves of garlic for snacks, (had to stuff cotton rolls up my nose on that one, still didn't help), we've got plenty of cat ladies, a guy who comes in asking to get "loaded" (nitrous is hardly the solution, and the dentist gives it to him for five minutes while giving the shot, then puts it on straight oxygen). We also had a patient the other day who lives in a tent and had to hike back home to make a fire, so he hoped it wouldn't take too long to pull the tooth that was bothering him. Yes, my job is interesting each day, to say the least. There is a reason I get paid what I get paid!

3 comments:

carin t said...

I didn't realize the extent of your dental experiences! Oh, and I hope you got rid of that muskrat - that is just disturbing! Can't wait to see/hear what other adventures you will have!

Jenn said...

Oh yeah! This is life in the fast lane here in pocatello...gotta find something to keep me entertained. I really do meet crazy crazy crazy people every day, but it makes going to work...interesting, and I always have something to laugh about. weirdos.

Laurie said...

I could never do you job. Well, pretty soon we are going to health insurance through UPS and it covers teeth cleaning. I am so excited! The last time I had a cleaning was when you did it is school. That probably sounds really nasty to most but if you remember, I have good brushing habits. I would freak out if I had a muskrat on my back porch. Did you get it taken care of? Yikes! You need to post something about Twilight. Since you are so addicted. HA! see you later.