Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Big Bite...

I got bit today. By a kid. Not fun.
I was at work and was asked to get a patient numb. This patient was extremely worked up from the get-go and would not let up and relax and let me get him numb, so we tried the nitrous...like that's going to work on pure evil. I came back in and went in for the kill and got bit. It sucked. I kept my cool, but took my glove off to reveal a very purple thumb. It hurts really bad and I want your sympathy, so thus...this blog. This was the first intentional bite I've experienced. I didn't like it. So, for all of you who think dental hygiene is a cushy job, news to you, it's not. I put my life (finger's lives) on the line every day ;)
Don't stick your hands in angry kids' mouths, they don't like it and you won't like it when they bite you, that kid has been black-listed from me in the dental realm.
I would have posted a picture, but it looked so much worse right after it happened, teeth marks and all, purple, horrible. Now it's just red and throbbing. You can still feel sorry for me though.

10 comments:

Dani said...

I feel sorry for you cuz I was there and I saw the purple HOLE left in your finger. Too bad we didnt have a camera at the office. Everyone needed to see that crater! Naughty kids...

Jason and Shannon Ewing said...

You're too funny. Did he get in trouble? If that were mine I'd have spanked him in front of everyone. I for one, appreciate the risks you take on a daily basis for the sake of oral hygeine.

Call Family said...

I feel for you babe! Way to keep your cool. Some kids are just brats. Heck even some adults!

Heather said...

Terrible! What a NAUGHTY kid! WOw, hope his/her momma did some bum-swatting, or something equivalent!

Emily said...

Been there and done that--only mine was over x-rays. It hurts sooo bad!!! I feel for you!

Burdick Family said...

Oh little kids can be so rotten sometimes! And how convenient for the dentist to ask you to numb for him. (: Sorry about your luck!

Will and Heidi said...

Yeah, I feel your pain!

Brian Norton said...

Ugh that sucks! sorry! Ya, I'm with Heather B on this one--how nice of the Dr. to let YOU numb that brat. Well I'm sure he's not a brat but still...definitely a naughty little guy. I hate numbing for the Dr.(as if we hygienists don't have a million things to do in our spare seconds)

Laurie said...

That stinks! I am so sorry! But it's really funny to read!

The Oatmeal girl said...

Hey Jen, sorry about your thumb, that would hurt. Brynlee has bit me before on the arm and it kills, or even when you try to feel for teeth when they are babies and their teeth are stinking sharp, THAT HURTS!! Well, tell Dennis "happy bday you old man" from Lance and Michele